Well, if you’re here, you either have some Swedish blood within you or you greatly appreciate Nordic cultures. Whatever it may be, you’re apparently on a quest to find the purrfect name among Swedish cat names. And I am about to help you with that.
Naming your kitty can be very hard and stressful since deciding what aesthetic you’d like to pursue is almost impossible. There are so many options to choose from and so many things you like that you probably often end up confused and on the verge of giving up.
You want a name that’s cool and modern, but also one that would be eternally relevant. You don’t want your kitty to be named after a character from a certain TV show that would be irrelevant 5-6 years from now.
Then, there’s also your cat’s personality and physical appearance you have to take into consideration. It would be weird to name your kitty that’s always calm after Hulk, for example. Some might appreciate the sarcasm, but still, it’s better to align your kitty’s character with the desired name.
Luckily for you, there are many categories that combine creativity, relevance, and meaningfulness, and in which you can find the perfect name for just about any cat. And the rich Swedish culture is exactly that!
I’m not sure what brought you here. Maybe you always knew you’ll give your kitty a Swedish name. Or maybe one of the Norse gods inspired you in your sleep last night. Either way, I’m glad you’re here, and I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.
Not to toot my own horn, but I’ve made quite an impressive selection of Swedish cat names. I’m sure by the end of this article, you’ll have a name in mind!
Make sure you have your pen and paper ready! By going through these names, I suggest you write those you love the most. Therefore later, when done, you’ll have your own little personal list of Swedish cat names to choose from.
Female Swedish cat names
If you happen to have a female kitten, and you want to give her a proper Swedish name, I have just the one for her! Below, you’ll find several Swedish cat names categorized into three groups, so you could easily find your way around and not be overwhelmed by the amount of awesomeness.
And before you get going, let’s learn some new words, shall we? Did you know that the Swedish word for a female is kvinna, and for a cat katt? Now you’re familiar with some Swedish. Tack me later!
Most popular female Swedish cat names
1. Inga – lives near a meadow
2. Elvan – the colorful one
3. Kiruna – city of Northern lights
4. Anja – grace
5. Stövlar – boots
6. Strumpor – socks
7. Malena – short for Magdalena
8. Engla – feminine form of the word angel
9. Blida – friendliness, gentleness (great for a Ragdoll cat)
10. Karin – pure
11. Sissela – to be blind
12. Dagny – a new day
13. Sassa – divine beauty
14. Linnea – lime tree
15. Anneli – grace
16. Annali – a variation of Anneli
17. Alvina – a noble and wise friend
18. Aurela – golden dawn
19. Flor – flower
20. Eina – a guardian of property, beautiful eye
21. Astrid – divinely beautiful
22. Ingrid – beautiful, beloved
23. Kajsa – pure
24. Klara – bright, clear
25. Maja – splendid
26. Mia – mine
27. Linnaeus – a blue flower, a twinflower
28. Ella – fairy maiden
29. Juni – June
30. Linn – a cascade, pretty, weak, soft
Powerful female Swedish cat names
1. Britta – strength, power
2. Agda – kind-hearted
3. Gerd – spear
4. Haidi – a stranger or flight
5. Hedda – war, battle
6. Hilde – fight
7. Tova – feminine form of Thor, god of Thunder
8. Henrika – ruler of the home
9. Hjördis – sword goddess
10. Meja – strong
11. Sigrid – victory, wisdom
12. Bele – one who roars (perfect for an angry kitty)
13. Tordis – thunder goddess
14. Axelina – defender of man
15. Ebba – strong
16. Erica – eternal ruler
17. Solvig – daughter of the Sun
18. Magna – great, large, strength
19. Bothild – the one who finds a remedy in a battle
20. Heorrenda – an army shield
21. Bim – a mighty woman of the ocean
22. Brigetta – strong female
23. Gunilla – battle maiden
24. Marikka – the sea of bitterness
25. Hjördis – sword Goddess
26. Pernilla – rock
27. Aninna – meaning “Answer my prayers”
28. Eldis – from the old house
29. Adahlia – a noble person
30. Wilma – from Wilhelmina, a female variant of William, means will or desire to protect
Interesting and creative female Swedish cat names
1. Rikke – short form of Frederikke
2. Embla – according to Norse mythology, Embla was the first woman on earth
3. Ronya – daughter of a robber
4. Asta – star-like
5. Helvi – flake
6. Nalle – a teddy bear
7. Tindra – to twinkle or sparkle
8. Nanna – graceful
9. Tuva – beautiful
10. Rosel – a woman of roses
11. Dagmar – joyous day, bright
12. Sunni – the gift of the Sun
13. Anika – grace
14. Elsa – pledged to God
15. Duve – the one with a thrilling personality
16. Bobba – light
17. Affton – afternoon or evening, from the river Afton
18. Atalie – pure
19. Sötnos – sweetheart
20. Tekla – the glory of God, famous
21. Agata – good-hearted
22. Leva – meaning to live
23. Jannicke – gracious God
24. Helga – blessed
25. Eldis – the one filled with joy
26. Madeleine – a woman from Magdala, or one from the high tower
27. Laura – crowned with laurels
28. Elvina – means elfin
29. Effe – the one who tells the truth
30. Annalisa – graced with God’s Bounty
Male Swedish cat names
Now, it’s time to dedicate our attention to our beloved tomcats.
As you were able to see, there were some pretty interesting Swedish names that could be used for your feline bestie. And believe me when I tell you that the selection of male Swedish cat names will not disappoint either.
Most popular male Swedish cat names
1. Agaton – pure
2. Gustaff – staff of the gods
3. Narve – helmet, kettle
4. Dag – daylight
5. Olaus – ancestor
6. Garth – garden
7. Benkt – blessed
8. Goran – farmer
9. Lorens – a man from Laurentum
10. Jesper – treasurer
11. Ludde – fluffy, wooly
12. Rune – secret
13. Olle – kinship
14. Benkt – blessed
15. Stig – wanderer
16. Espen – good bear
17. Sven – a squire
18. Bore – north wind
19. Elfred – popular
20. Emil – lively, eager
21. Greger – watchful
22. Sigfrid – peace of victory
23. Gjord – peace of God
24. Boje – a man who comes from the castle
25. Aron – lofty or inspired
26. Stian – wanderer
27. Mikkel – enormous (suitable for our dear gentle giants, Maine Coons)
28. Bamse – bear
29. Jurdik – law
30. Nalle – champion, very kind
Powerful male Swedish cat names
1. Olof – heir of the ancestors
2. Alcazar – castle
3. Nichlas – the one who always holds the winning title
4. Brictwen – a friend or a companion
5. Gustaf – staff of the gods
6. Rikard- king, ruler
7. Ongentheow – the name of a mighty and powerful Swedish King
8. Ame – eagle
9. Magne – powerful warrior
10. Hein – home leader
11. Rurik – a notable ruler
12. Edeltrud – very strong
13. Gunnar (or Gunner) – warrior, fighter
14. Helmar – fighting fury
15. Eilhard – edge of the sword
16. Gerhard – spear, brave, hardy
17. Sigstein – a victory written in the stone
18. Randulf – the edge of the wolf’s shield
19. Siger – a great victory of an army
20. Klas – a victory of people
21. Jarl – noble
22. Einar – bold warrior
23. Eyvind – lucky warrior
24. Roffe – legendary wolf
25. Cenn – strong and stable
26. Didrik – ruler of the people (suitable for any cat, really)
27. Torgny – the noise of the Thunder God
28. Sigvard -a protector who is victorious
29. Lennart – strong like the lion
30. Balder – a bold and courageous army
Cat names inspired by Norse mythology
Before the residents of the Nordic countries converted to Christianity, they had their own pagan religion whose center stemmed from legends and myths about powerful gods and goddesses. That pagan belief is today known as Norse mythology.
Even though its stories are widely popular today (think about Marvel’s Thor, for example), the true origin and meaning still remain a mystery. Many people debate about the true meaning behind some events and whether the stories Vikings told were true or not.
However, we are not here to be historians. We’ll leave the mystery behind it to be revealed and the complexity of it discussed by someone else. All we’re here for is some inspiration, so we could name our feline buddies.
These ideas below might not be your standard Swedish cat names, but do consider them! Imagine how cool it would be to have a little furry deity named after some powerful Norse god or goddess (or other mythical creature).
1. Odin – the greatest among the Norse gods
2. Thor – the powerful god of thunder
3. Frigg – Odin’s wife, a paragon of beauty, love, fertility, and fate
4. Heimdall – known as the ‘shiniest’ of all gods due to his white skin
9. Loki – a mischievous god who could shape-shift and can take up animalistic forms
11. Freyr – a symbol of prosperity and pleasant weather conditions
12. Freyja – goddess of love, fertility, and beauty
13. Hel – the goddess and ruler of the Norse underworld
14. Skadi – goddess of hunting
18. Mjölnir – this one is neither a god nor a mythical creature; this is Thor’s hammer
Viking cat names for your furry warrior
As we all probably know, Vikings were seafaring riders, conquerors, settlers, and traders who originated from countries today known to us as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland. Their passionate journeys and expeditions took them from Baghdad to North America, where they arrived before Columbus.
They were motivated by fortune, prestige, and power and sought them in material things like gold, silver, and gemstones, and in the form of land.
They were no strangers to violence, and they earned their fame by being fierce and ruthless. They were resilient and persistent in achieving what they set out to do.
Our kitties might not be entirely like them, but these two do share some personality traits. Our cats will also stop at nothing to get what they want!
Below, I’ve listed some cat names inspired by some of the most famous Vikings that raided this world.
1. Ragnar Lodbrok
2. Bjorn Ironside
3. Halfdan Ragnarsson
4. Sigurd Snake-in-the-eye
5. Ubba Ragnarsson
6. Ivar the Boneless
8. Harald Bluetooth
9. Sweyn Forkbeard
10. Cnut the Great
11. Harald Hardrada
13. Erik the Red
14. Bjarni Herjolfsson
16. Olav Tryggvasson
21. Sigrid the Proud
22. Unn the Deep-minded
Cat names inspired by Swedish pop culture
If you couldn’t care less about Norse mythology and Viking raiders and shieldmaidens, or if none of those names tickled your fancy, don’t worry! I have another list for you!
There’s probably something from Swedish pop culture or culture in general that you like. And if not, I’m sure at least a name or two will appeal to you.
The entire Swedish society is all about equality and individualism which are definitely a good ground for the development of a rich and diverse culture. They are dominant in various fields such as movies, literature, sports, and music. And they are also advocates of environmental protection.
The thing I came across as researching this topic and something I grew to love and appreciate the most, is another Swedish word we’re about to learn. There’s this word that Swedes use as a leitmotif, and it’s lagom – meaning not too much and not too little. Just the right amount!
In essence, lagom explains a sustainable lifestyle that is based on social awareness and moderation.
Now that we have learned our last Swedish word of the day, lets jump into our final list of Swedish cat names.
1. Abba – oh, your kitty’s gonna be singing “Gimme, gimme, gimme a treat after midnight!” for sure
3. Tove Lo
4. Lykke Li
5. Avicci – for a kitty who enjoys good music
6. Zara Larson
7. Beatrice Eli
8. Max Martin
10. Jens Lekman
11. Måns Zelmerlöw
12. Håkan Hellström
16. Eric Saade
18. Per Gessle
19. Molly Sandén
21. Senabo Sey
26. Benjamin Ingrosso
28. Felix Sandman
I hope this article helped you choose the Swedish cat name for your fluff among these various, interesting options. I tried to make a collection of names that will suit both history nerds and pop culture lovers. And also those who, like me, fit somewhere in the middle.