“My Ragdoll kitty is coming in three days and I don’t have a name yet! I want to give her the best name in the world, but somehow I have a feeling like I’m gonna do a bad job. Quick, cat gods, aid me in my misery. What are the best Ragdoll cat names?”
If you have found yourself in a similar situation, then fear not my friend! I’m here to help you find the purrfect name for your gentle prince or princess.
Naming a cat can be very stressful. A lot of forethought has to be put into it because the cat will carry that name for the rest of her life. Imagine naming your kitty Tiffany only to find out she obviously gives out Melanie vibes. What a nightmare would that be, right?
Okay, I’m probably being too dramatic with this one, but choosing the right name is indeed hard. Especially if you’re adopting a kitten and aren’t still sure what kind of personality he or she will grow into.
Fortunately for all of us concerned cat parents (with a tad bit of OCD tendencies), cats are usually marked with the general characteristics of the specific breed they belong to. So, Bengal cats will mostly be energetic, Birmans will embody their role of lap monsters and Siamese cats will be jealous queens.
And Ragdoll beauties, the ones whose ideal name we’re looking for today, will mostly be affectionate, gentle, calm, and social. They are said to be perfect life companions, cuddly but not overly demanding, with an almost dog-like personality.
And a cat like that deserves an appropriate and meaningful name!
Below, I’ve selected a decent amount of interesting cat names, and I’m sure you’ll find the one that’s destined for your Raggy fluff. So, let’s not waste any more time – it’s time we find the perfect Ragdoll cat name for you!
Best Ragdoll cat names
With their friendly, well-tempered, and affectionate personality and super-soft fluff, it’s no wonder these little bundles of joy are many cat parents’ first choice. Looking like living stuffed animals, Ragdoll cats are loved by many children around the world. And, there’s a place for them in the heart of grownups, too.
This breed originated in the 1960s in California, and it has quite an interesting, almost legend-like history. It’s said the Persian breeder from Riverside, Ann Baker, saved a semi-feral white cat resembling Angora after she was hit by a car. She named her Josephine and bred her with other breeds she owned.
The car accident that Josephine went through supposedly left her immune to pain, leaving her to have a relaxed body that seemed to go limp when picked up. Ann said Josephine was flappy like a ragdoll, so the name stuck, and her offspring were called inherited the name.
Sometimes, they’re also referred to as Josephine’s daughters.
Here’s a fun fact for your next pub quiz session: Ann supposedly copyrighted the name Josephine, and now it can only be used for this breed.
If, however, you’re not a particular fan of the name Josephine, I’ve prepared many other interesting names that will for sure tickle your fancy. So, let’s see what are other suitable Ragdoll cat names.
For your sweet purrincess
7. Mildred – one who has a gentle strength
14. Charlotte – petite or small
17. Felicity – happiness
18. Helen – light
22. Mila – pleasant
29. Cerelia – having to do with spring
30. Amandine – one who is loved
31. Kerensa – love
32. Elettra – bright
For your sweet purrince
2. Kenzo – healthy
5. Beau – good man
6. Harvey – one who is brave in battle
7. Alfred – wise or intelligent
14. Abe – noble
16. Barney – one who encourages
17. Anthony – one who is worthy of praise
18. Dewey – beloved
23. Finley – hero
24. Greer – one who is watchful
29. Bodhi – one who is awakened
32. Zephyr – the west wind
Name ideas inspired by Ragdolls’ fluff
Ragdolls are famous for having silky-smooth fur which in the words of many resembles that of rabbits. It is believed that their fluff is one of their most desirable features (alongside their mesmerizing blue eyes).
So, it’s only natural that you would like to pick an appropriate name for the kind of coat your furbaby has. Here are some Ragdoll cat names that you’ll definitely adore and that will suit the fur your Raggy feline friend has.
1. For cream coat kings and queens
2. Cotton Ball
4. Snow White (aka. Disney princess)
9. Cream Puff
19. Candide – originating from the French word for ‘white
21. Ailbhe – derived from the old Irish word albho, meaning white
22. Albus – originated from Latin, meaning white
26. Jasmine – petite, white and fragrant flower
30. Marya – an uncommon name of Arabic origin. It means purity or bright whiteness
2. For chocolate-colored coats
3. Kit Cat (like the Kit Kat chocolate bar, but better)
11. Godiva – the range of Belgian chocolates by the Turkish chocolate maker, Godiva Chocolatier
19. Willy Wonka
3. A little something for lilac fluffballs
11. Bora – this Korean-origin name means purple
4. For sealed colored coats
15. Mia (Pho and Mia were the two first imported Siamese cats to the west)
5. And last but not least, for flame-colored coats
Ragdoll cat names inspired by gentle fictional characters
If you’re anything like me, then you probably love to spend time watching your favorite TV shows and movies or reading books. And I’m sure you’ve caught yourself inventing fake scenarios in your head where you and the character you like are very close.
Oh, come on! Admit it! This is a safe, judgmental-free zone. I know I’ve always imagined getting married to Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. Anytime I would either read the book or watch the movie, I would hear imaginary wedding bells.
And you can bet my next cat will be named after him!
If you also have a favorite character, especially one who’s super gentle and affectionate, you can name your kitty after him. And if not, here’s a list of some extremely wonderful fictional characters who won the hearts of many. These would make pawesome Ragdoll cat names!
1. Poe Dameron (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
2. Peter Quill (Guardians of the Galaxy)
3. Bruce Banner (The Avengers)
4. Agent Peggy Carter (Captain America: The First Avenger)
5. Bram (Love, Simon)
6. Astrid Leong (Crazy Rich Asians)
7. Baby (Baby Driver)
8. Alice Cullen (Twilight)
9. Edward Cullen (Twilight)
10. Hagrid (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
11. Harry Potter (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
12. Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
13. Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
14. Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit)
15. Frodo Baggins (The Lord of the Rings)
16. Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)
17. Samwise Gamgee (The Lord of the Rings)
18. Legolas (The Lord of the Rings)
19. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
20. Todd (Dead Poets Society)
21. Katniss (The Hunger Games)
22. Prim (The Hunger Games)
23. Peta (The Hunger Games)
24. Hannah Grose (The Haunting of Bly Manor)
Names to fit Ragdolls’ personality
We’ve said countless times how calm and affectionate Ragdoll cats are. Their personality is one of the reasons why cat lovers all around the world decide to adopt them. Therefore, a cat with a personality as sweet as theirs must have a name to match.
Below is a list of cute Ragdoll cat names for our favorite furry gentle kings and queens. I’ve selected names from various cultures, so you could have another way to celebrate your heritage.
Something for girls
1. Eztia (Basque): a word for honey which generally means sweet and gentle
2. Aurear (English): gentle music
3. Caron (Welsh): kindhearted or gentle
4. Damara (Greek): meaning gentle
5. Mehri (Persian): sunny, lovable
6. Anana (African): soft, and gentle
7. Ebele (Igbo): mercy and kindness
8. Hiroko (Japanese): tolerant
9. Yuko (Japanese): excellence and gentleness
10. Nariko (Japanese): means both gentle child and thunder
11. Wan (Chinese): graceful and elegant, but also fine silk
12. Shu (Chinese): gentle, fair
13. Miyeon (Korean): kindhearted
14. Hella (Finnish): gentle or tender
15. Sanjana (Hindu): soft or gentle
16. Lateefa (Arabic): kind, pleasant, and friendly
17. Nasima (Arabic): gentle breeze
18. Anisa (Idnonesian): friendly or good-natured
19. Dalia (Swahili): tender, gentle
Something for boys
1. Abab (Arabic): youthful gentleness
2. Lutfi (Arabic): kind
3. Atubah (Arabic): soft, gentle, and delicate
4. Halim (Arabic): humane, generous, patient, and mild
5. Kelemen (Hungarian): gentle
6. Adiv (Hebrew): gentle, pleasant, and delicate
7. Blandon (Latin): gentle
8. Kapono (Hawaiian): the good, moral one
9. Stilman (English): calm, quiet
10. Mungo (Welsh): from the word mwyn, meaning gentle and kind
11. Gareth (Welsh): gentleness
12. Cliamon (Scottish): A name meaning gentle
13. Kevin (Celtic): gentle; also Keyvn, or Kevan
14. Damone (Greek): This name comes from the verb “to tame” but also means gentle
15. Ninad (Hindu): the sound of water or the gentle humming of water
16. Evander (Greek): a good man
17. Damario (Greek): gentle
18. Yasashiku (Japanese): polite
19. Hien (Vietnamese): good-natured, mild, gentle
20. Ji-Min (Korean): wisdom, ambition, gentle
Food-inspired Ragdoll cat names
Does your Tinder bio say that you’re, apart from being a proud cat parent, also a foodie? If yes, then you can be certain that your future Raggy will also be one. That’s in every cat’s nature!
Everybody knows how much cats love food. They would be unapologetically chunky if only it wasn’t so detrimental to their health. And if they didn’t have us in their lives to ration their food portions, as well.
So, if you wish to name your little gourmand after a delicious food item, then you have my full support! Here are some food-inspired Ragdoll cat names you can choose from.
I hope your troubles have come to an end and that you have found the name you’ve been looking for all this time. As we said, naming your future kitty can be hard and stressful, but at the end of the day it’s also super fun!
I’ve tried my best to compile a selection of the best Ragdoll cat names that would work for both their appearance and their unique character. But, that would also speak to your heart.
If, however, for whatever reason, you haven’t managed to find a name you liked, fear not! I have another article for you!
If you feel like your Raggy would be a real loafer, there are some pretty good names worthy of a true couch potato. Do check this one out!